In about 18 hours I fly out to California for Network Field Day 4. I was honored to be contacted recently and invited to be a delegate for Gestalt IT’s NFD4. I’m excited to have such a special opportunity to go and hear from some of the top vendors about what they’re up to.
NFD4 is being graced by some great vendors. In alphabetical order:
I can’t wait to hear what they have to say.
In particular, I’m honored to be in some really very esteemed company. I hope I can live up to their standards. For this event, the other delegates are:
- Anthony Burke (@Pandom_)
- Bob Plankers (@Plankers)
- Brent Salisbury (@NetworkStatic)
- Chris Marget (@ChrisMarget)
- Colin McNamara (@ColinMcNamara)
- Greg Ferro (@EtherealMind)
- Jeremy L. Gaddis (@JLGaddis)
- John Harrington (@NetworkSherpa)
- Michael McNamara (@mfMcNamara)
- Paul Stewart (@PacketU)
- Tom Hollingsworth (@NetworkingNerd)
I think it’s fair to say that if you’re in networking and you are not following at least one or more of these guys’ blogs, you are missing out.
What’s Going On?
The schedule is pretty straightforward:
- Wed, Oct 10 13:30-15:30 Statseeker Presents at Networking Field Day 4
- Wed, Oct 10 16:00-18:00 Opengear Presents at Networking Field Day 4
- Thu, Oct 11 08:00-10:00 Spirent Presents at Networking Field Day 4
- Thu, Oct 11 11:00-15:30 Brocade Presents at Networking Field Day 4
- Fri, Oct 12 08:00-12:30 Cisco Presents at Networking Field Day 4
- Fri, Oct 12 13:30-18:00 Juniper Presents at Networking Field Day 4
All times are Pacific, since the event is in California. If you go to the NFD4 web page or to http://techfieldday.com/ you’ll find an embedded video which will provide a live stream of the sessions. If you miss them, that’s cool – they go up shortly afterwards (in high def) on YouTube and you can catch up later. I think it’s going to be an intense few days and I hope to come away with a huge amount of information. You can also follow what’s going on using Twitter – look for hashtags #NFD4 and #TechFieldDay.
I’d like to take a moment in advance to thank Stephen Foskett who is organizing this, with very capable assistance from Claire Chaplais.
It is noted on the delegate page that attendees will have their travel and living expenses covered and may receive chotchkies, logo junk, and food and drink. I’m repeating this here so that it’s absolutely clear that the vendors are paying for me to come to California, are putting me up in a hotel, and food and drink are covered too. What does that mean? It means I need to tell you that. The same page also notes that there is no quid pro quo involved – that is, I am under no obligation to write anything about what I learn, and if I do write, there’s no requirement to write positively. I can, and will, be honest, and I will repeat a similar disclosure on any page I write as a result of my attendance at NFD4. I value my independence highly, and the last thing I want to do is for somebody to think that I’m acting as a shill for any of the vendors. I’ll be up front so you are clear how any posts come about.